At the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Analyse the topic (prompt: usually the first or last line of the story).
- Plan their story and develop a plot.
- Design a story map: setting, characters, problem/situation, resolution
- Organise their story into paragraphs: write effective opening and closing paragraphs with a strong main body.
- Integrate topic relevant vocabulary into the story.
- Use general narrative language: adjectives, adverbs, a variety of verb tenses and time expressions.
- Construct well-formed sentences with correct tenses, participle clauses etc.
- Evaluate other students’ stories following a rubric.
ANALYSIS OF PLOT AND NARRATIVE STYLE.
Students will learn: How to generate ideas for the story by focusing on the prompt given.
(Brainstorm for ideas asking who/what/where/when questions)
How to map out the story into setting / characters / problem / resolution.
How to order a sequence of events into beginning – middle – end.
How to construct a plot diagram: beginning/rising action/climax/resolution.
How to improve narrative writing style by using:
descriptive language: adjectives – adverbs
a variety of tenses
a variety of time expressions
a variety of clauses